Find out all the reasons you should come out and enjoy this great community event – then head out to the Community Fair and Carnival at Eastport Plaza, afterward …
Putting the finishing touches on the Fourth Annual 82nd Avenue of Roses Parade are: (back row) volunteer coordinator Tamara Spycher, Ruth Hander from the board of the Madison South Neighborhood Assn.; Johnni Jones; Dianne Gill from Eastport Plaza Shopping Center. (Center row) Judy Welch, board member of the Lents Neighborhood Association; Nancy Chapin, Coordinator Assistant; Eilene Curtiss, of the Portland Rose Society; Blythe Pavlik, from Southeast Uplift; Julie Wolleck of Portland Community College. (Front row) Ken Turner, event coordinator; Paul Ellison, Bank of the West, Kathryn Notson, South Tabor Neighborhood Association.
Story and photos by David F. Ashton
The first official event of the 2010 Portland Rose Festival rolls out on April 24, at 9:00 a.m. sharp – and, it’s located right here in outer East Portland!
It’s the 2010 edition of the 82nd Avenue of Roses Parade – again providing music, fun, and pageantry along the 40 blocks of 82nd Avenue of Roses, starting at Eastport Plaza, just north of SE Holgate Boulevard, and traveling north to SE Yamhill Street.
> Read about last year’s parade! CLICK HERE for our coverage!
“This year’s parade will be the best ever,” smiled Ken Turner, the event’s organizer, and President of the 82nd Avenue of Roses Business Association – which, along with Eastport Plaza and SE Uplift – are the major sponsors of this community event.
“Families will enjoy the multicultural parade entries, which include the Chinese Lion Dancers, Kells Irish Pipes & Drums, a troupe performing ‘Danse Orientale’, and other colorful participants,” added Turner.
Other highlights of the parade:
- VFW Honor Guard will lead off the parade, carrying Old Glory.
- Entries walking the parade route will do so to the rhythms of the Madison High School Drum Corps
- Vehicles from the Navy and Marines will roll on by.
- Ronald McDonald will ride inside the World’s Biggest Clown Shoe.
- The Royal Rosarians will thrill parade watchers, in their dapper white suits, as they welcome everyone to this year’s Portland Rose Festival.
- The 2010 Rose Festival Princess Court will be waving as they pass – in this, their first official Festival appearance.
- All kinds of vehicles, including “Herbie the Love Bug” from Cinema Classics Car Club, Classic Cars and Pharaoh Club’s 60 “cool rides”, and the famous Rose City Corvettes.
All this, plus representatives from neighborhoods, businesses and government officials will join the marching throng.
It’s not too late to be part of this great community event.
“Already, about 65 volunteers have signed on – people from area businesses, neighborhood associations, and people who just love to help put on a great community event,” their event coordinator, Johnni Jones, told us.
“Just 20 more volunteers will make all the difference in the world, getting all the entries lined up at Eastport Plaza, and along the 40 blocks of the parade that need to be monitored by volunteers,” Jones added. “We have City of Portland Police and ODOT staff at the major cross streets, and (our snazzily-dressed in excellent bright yellow t-shirts) volunteers at the quieter streets on the route (to SE Yamhill and west to 76th).”
To help out, contact Jones at email@example.com – and offer your support.
Helping to strengthen positive community values
“Our volunteers work hard on this all year, because it is a great community-building event,” Turner said. “Whether participating in the parade – or watching from our neighborhood streets – it helps increase the value of our district, and engenders civic pride. This isn’t a one-time event; it serves as a building block for neighbors and businesses, as we continue to expand the positive values of our district.”
The 82nd Avenue of Roses Business Association and SE Uplift are pleased to have this Portland Rose Festival Sanctioned Event presented by Eastport Plaza, sponsored by APNBA, the Port of Portland, Pacific Power, PCC, Washman USA, Bank of the West, Home Run Graphics, and TSG, and supported by nearly 100 business, community and neighborhood association volunteers.
Eastport Plaza’s Carnival Days
to feature Community Fair
After the parade is over, to keep the fun going all day, Eastport Plaza, at 4000 SE 82nd Avenue of Roses is hosting Carnival Days from April 22 through April 25, featuring FUNtastic rides and games.
“On Parade Day, April 24, we’re hosting a Community Fair,” said the Center’s Manager, Dianne Gill. “Ted’s Classic Car Cruise-In attracts dozens of unique cars and specialty vehicles. And, Karen Reinholt Presents will provide unique, family entertainment throughout the day, as will live bands.” Additional attractions include:
- 10:30 to 3:30 – FREE three ring pony rides
- 10:30 to 3:30 – Deena Printz returns, drawing great, FREE caricatures
- 10:00 to 12:30 – Strolling interactive clown play throughout fair
- Noon to 2 pm – BJ the Comedy Balloon Making Clown will be twisting up FREE sculptures
- 1 pm – Music with the River City Band
- 1 pm to 3 pm – Heather Pearl, stilt walker and juggler extraordinaire, entertains.
“There’s something for everyone,” Gill added. “We hope all of our neighbors come to the Community Fair.”
© 2010 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News