Woman strangled to death by ex-partner in Powellhurst-Gilbert

It’s an outrage! Many are saying the man who murdered her should have already been in jail. Find out why her alleged murder was released from custody, even after reportedly previously beating this woman, and threatening her with death …

After a woman is found murdered by her ex-partner – a man who had previously been arrested on domestic violence charges against her – Portland Police Bureau officers pull up at an apartment complex in the Powellhurst-Gilbert neighborhood.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton

It was “Disturbance-Priority” call that sent Portland Police Bureau (PPB) East Precinct officers to an individually-numbered duplex apartment unit at 3221 92nd Avenue on Saturday morning, August 27, at 7:01 a.m.

“Officers arrived to find an adult female who was deceased. An adult male has been detained as part of the investigation,” was the terse message from a PPB spokesperson about the incident.

As this Saturday begins, SE 92nd Avenue fills with police vehicles, including the Mobile Command Unit.

PPB Homicide Unit detectives, Forensics Unit staff, and beat officers were at the scene for a good part of the day looking into this crime.

On August 28, the PPB revealed that 33-year-old Mohamed Osman Adan was arrested. He was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center at 7:31 p.m. that evening on charges of Murder in the Second Degree (Domestic Violence), and Unlawful Use of a Weapon.

You’re not permitted to see the booking photo of accused strangulation murderer 33-year-old Mohamed Osman Adan. CLICK HERE to learn why you are forbidden to view it.

At his arraignment, Adan learned he would be held, without bail, on the murder charge. From a previous case against him, Adan had bail of $100,000 set for a charge of “Felony Strangulation – Domestic Violence”, and an additional $100,000 set for one of five Contempt of Court charges.

After reportedly being threatened, abused, and terrorized by the suspect, this woman, 36-year-old Racheal Angel Abraham, became a strangulation murder victim. Family provided image

On August 30, the victim in this homicide was identified as 36-year-old Racheal Angel Abraham. The Medical Examiner determined the cause of death as manual strangulation, and the manner of death a homicide.

Accused murderer set free by ‘Fund’
According to court documents, just seven days before he was arrested for killing of Abraham by strangling her to death, Adan was bailed out of jail by the co-founder of Portland Freedom Fund.

On the front page of the organization’s website, it states:

“We are a volunteer-run abolitionist organization currently dedicated to reducing harms perpetuated against our Black, Brown and Indigenous neighbors by the criminal justice system through posting bail, so they may navigate their case from a position of freedom.”

Most recently, Adan was in custody on August 20 for allegedly violating the conditions of an earlier release from jail, thanks to being bailed out by the Portland Freedom Fund. Court papers show the original charges on May 2, and more recent violations on June 23, were related to repeated violence, and threatening behavior by Adan against Abraham.

After the homicide, on social media, the Portland Freedom Fund released this statement:

“Our thoughts are with the families and communities affected by this tragedy, particularly the children who have effectively lost both parents. It is a profound tragedy when any person is harmed. We know this personally, and we believe that people who have been harmed need and deserve access to community supports, trauma services, and healing. In line with our community values we actively work to participate in harm-repair/restorative practices when identified. This incident will be a priority for any opportunity to join in that work with those directly impacted.?”

DA’s office ‘deeply concerned’
In a press release, Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt provided this statement regarding Adan’s release and Abraham’s murder:

“I am deeply concerned by the circumstances that led to Mohamed Osman Adan’s release. Our prosecutors aggressively pursued a high bail amount in this case. Mr. Adan’s intent to kill the victim was unambiguous.

“After the judge set Adan’s bail, the Portland Freedom Fund undermined our efforts and the efforts of the court to save the victim’s life by using their resources to bail him out. When a judge imposes bail, the defendant’s ability to pay is among the factors they consider.

“The action taken by the Portland Freedom Fund circumvented this, with tragic results. We offer our deepest condolences to the family of the victim, and will dedicate our efforts to the full prosecution of this matter.”

Currently, Adan is being held, without bail available, in Multnomah County Inverness Jail.

If you have information about this incident, Detective Rico Beniga can be reached at (503) 823-0457 or at Rico.beniga@police.portlandoregon.gov  or Detective Erik Kammerer at Erik.Kammerer@police.portlandoregon.gov and let them know this is regarding Case No. 22-230750.

© 2022 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News™

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2024 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.