Two arrested after Hazelwood shooting

Why this shooting took place remains unclear. See who officers took into custody, why, and which suspect was soon set free, thanks to a kindly judge

Officers arriving at the scene of a shooting in the Hazelwood neighborhood soon find evidence that gunshots were, indeed, fired – on NE 122nd Avenue, a bit north of Glisan Street.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton

The sound of gunshots on NE 122nd Avenue near Oregon Street after nightfall on December 12 was so alarming, quite a few people called the 9-1-1 Center to report it.

Portland Police Bureau (PPB) East Precinct officers were dispatched to the area at 6:07 p.m., and began searching the area for suspects, victims, and gunfire evidence.

“During the investigation, officers contacted several witnesses, and obtained descriptions of the people believed to be involved in the shooting,” said PPB Public Information Officer Sgt. Chris Burley.

While several responding officers canvassed the area and found evidence of gunfire at the intersection, including bullet strikes to buildings, while several others fanned out through the area looking for suspects.

“Near NE 128th Avenue and Halsey Street, officers located two males who matched the description of the suspects reportedly involved in this shooting,” Burley said.

Northeast of the shooting location, officers spot and stop two suspects along NE Halsey Street.

As officers walked up to the pair, one of them took off running westbound on Halsey, but didn’t get far – pursuing officers took him into custody two blocks away.

“The other suspect complied with the officer’s directions, and was taken into custody without incident; a firearm was found on the suspect after he was taken into custody,” Burley reported. “There have been no reported injuries or anyone arriving at area hospitals with injuries believed to be related to this shooting investigation,
“Based on information gathered at this time investigators do not believe there was a danger to the public in relation to this shooting.”

Being held without bail on a charge of parole violation, is 34-year-old Tyrone Lee. MCDC booking photo

The suspect who attempted to run away, 34-year-old Tyrone Lee, was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center (MCDC) at 1:39 a.m. on December 13 on a parole violation warrant. After his arraignment in Multnomah County District Court later the day of his arrest, Lee learned he’d be held, without bail, for Felony Violation of Parole.

-4 Facing gun possession charges is 21-year-old Tyler Jermaine Williams. MCDC booking photo

The other suspect, 21-year-old Tyler Jermaine Williams, was booked into MCDC at 12:56 a.m. on December 13, charged with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, a Class-A Misdemeanor. At his arraignment, Williams was assigned a $2,500 bail.

But, Williams was set free later that day, thanks to a Multnomah County District Court judge; release reason stated: Court Ordered Release.

Anyone who witnessed, or has information about, this shooting – or who possesses video surveillance footage of the shooting – is asked to contact the Portland Police Bureau Tactical Operations Division’s Gun Violence Response Team (GVRT) Detective Jeff Pontius. Call 503-823-2081 or email

© 2018 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News™


Comments are closed.

© 2005-2024 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.