Patient stabs security guard at Mill Park hospital

When a security guard tussled unexpectedly with this big guy, both of them ended up injured, officials say. See what we learned about this incident …

Mid-afternoon, a patient from a mental health facility is transported to the Emergency Department at Portland Adventist Medical Center.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton
It was another ordinary day there – as ordinary as any day can be, for the professionals in the Mill Park neighborhood based Portland Adventist Medical Center (AMC) Emergency Department – on Tuesday December 3.

Then, in an instant, at about 2:30 p.m., the calm of the day was shattered by a commotion in the Emergency Department, which left two people bloodied.

The problem didn’t occur while walking through the AMC Emergency Department, but instead it came after the patient was taken to a secured room. EXN file image

“A mental health patient was brought into the Emergency Department of Adventist Medical Center this afternoon,” Adventist Health Media Director Judy Leach told East Portland News.

CareMark Behavioral Health Services offers comprehensive in-patient psychiatric services at outer East Portland medical center.

“The patient was taken to a secured room and assigned a security officer,” Leach reported. “During the process of being appropriately screened, the patient stabbed a hospital security officer in the hand.”

Portland Police East Precinct officers arrive at the hospital, responding to a stabbing call. EXN file image

Police were alerted, according to Portland Police Bureau Public Information Officer Sgt. Pete Simpson.

“Officers arrived and learned that the security guard suffered a non-life-threatening stab wound from the adult male patient, and that the patient also suffered self-inflicted injuries during a struggle,” Simpson said.

After the scuffle, both the guard and the patient were treated.

After being treated and released that evening, 40-year-old Timothy A. Evanger went from being a patient to being a prisoner – and was transported from the Emergency Room to jail.

“The [security] officer sustained a superficial wound to the hand. The officer has been treated, and is in stable condition,” Leach said.

“The patient has been restrained, and is receiving medical attention for his injuries, which are not believed to be life-threatening,” Simpson later stated.

The 6 ft., 220 lbs suspect was released from the hospital later that day, and moved to another facility: He checked into Multnomah County Detention Center (MCDC) at 7:12 p.m. that evening.

Simpson revealed, “40-year-old Timothy A. Evanger was booked on charges of Assault in the Second Degree and Attempted Assault in the Second Degree.”

Apparently, the Multnomah County District Attorney made the case.

40-year-old Timothy A. Evanger remains in custody; his case is awaiting legal disposition. MCDC booking photo

Evanger, who, according to court records had been staying at a Clackamas County mental health facility before being taken to the hospital, was arraigned on the two charges. He remains in custody at MCDC in lieu of $255,000 combined bail.

© 2013 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2023 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.