Parkrose ‘Can Drive’ to continue through the summer

But, don’t come by on the Fourth of July! Save up your deposit-return containers and bring them by next Saturday …

Members of the Parkrose Girl Tennis team collect deposit-return bottles and cans at the Parkrose Bronco Boosters monthly drive – this month, held on July 11.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton

Almost every Saturday of the month, the Parkrose Bronco Boosters hold a Pop Can Collection Drive.

But not this Saturday, July 4.

“We do ask you to save up your deposit-return bottles and cans, and bring them in next Saturday, July 11,” said organizer Patty Meighen.

At each event, Parkrose High School (PHS) student groups vie to participate in the event, arriving about 8:30 a.m. and working until past noon.

PHS teacher Evan McFadden and assistant Boys Tennis team coach Paul Scafidi help by hoisting empty bottles during this drive.

“This is because the student groups earn a portion of the can and bottle refunds,” said PHS teacher Evan McFadden who is also Parkrose Girls Tennis Coach.

“In our case, the money they earn goes for balls, rackets, and uniforms for kids who cannot afford them,” McFadden told East Portland News at a recent collection event.

“They give the student groups 70% of the proceeds,” McFadden explained. “The other 30% of the funds raised goes to senior scholarships. This is really cool!”

Volunteer Greg Meighen wraps up a stack of empties before they’re taken in for recycling.

So remember, the next Parkrose Bronco Boosters Pop Can Drive is Saturday, July 11, from 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Take your deposit-return cans and bottles with you to help support these community education efforts.

They’re back at the Parkrose Middle School front entrance, at 11800 NE Shaver Street, 97220. For more information contact Patty Meighen, at pmeighen@hotmail.com.

© 2015 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Please share with a friend

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2018 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial