Nightclub ‘bar fight’ leads to shooting spree

The bouncers got the fighting patrons outside – but that’s when the real problem began, officials say. In less than an hour, the cops had their man …

Patrons were enjoying a fun evening, until a fight broke out which brought police to this outer East Portland nightclub.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton
A night of revelry came abruptly to an end, early on January 5, when a scuffle broke out at about 12:30 a.m., at Jody’s Bar and Grill at 12035 NE Glisan Street.

But it wasn’t a fistfight that brought Portland Police Bureau (PPB) East Precinct district officers to the nightspot – it was the report of gunfire in the parking lot.

“Jody’s security told police that the shooting started as a fight inside the bar,” revealed PPB Public Information Officer Sgt. Pete Simpson. “This was followed by the shooting, which occurred in the parking lot in front of the location.”

No one was hit, Simpson added, and the intended victim sped off in a vehicle.

One of the bullets hit the Taco Bell, right next to Jody’s.

“Officers arrived and discovered a shell casing in the parking lot and a bullet strike to the Taco Bell building.”

As additional officers were in route, additional information was broadcast that the suspect and two females had fled the area in a silver Ford Crown Victoria.
“Officers from the Gresham Police Department located and stopped the suspect vehicle at Northeast 8th Street and Cleveland Avenue in Gresham,” Simpson said. “The male driver and two females were detained.”
Witnesses identified the vehicle and the people as being involved in the fight and shooting. Officers recovered a handgun inside the vehicle that investigators believe was used in the shooting.

Police arrested Kace Adigun Talton on multiple charges, in connection with the shooting incident. MCDC booking photo
Based on information developed at the scene, Gang Enforcement Team detectives responded to pursue the investigation.

Ultimately the alleged driver of the suspect vehicle, 30-year-old Kace Adigun Talton, was arrested at 1:20 a.m., less than an hour after the incident began.

Talton was charged with Attempted Murder, Unlawful Use of a Firearm, Felon in Possession of a Firearm, and three counts of Reckless Endangerment – and is now on a United States Marshall’s “Hold” – at the Multnomah County Detention Center, in lieu of a combined bail amount of $272,500.

“Investigators from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission were notified, and responded to speak with Jody’s Bar & Grill management,” Simpson added.

“If you see an illegal gun crime in progress, call 9-1-1.”

© 2013 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2024 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.