Lents house fire displaces three residents

Find out what it was that challenged the firefighters working to put out an outer East Portland blaze …

Firefighters work to extinguish a garage fire in this Lents home.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton

Residents of a rental house at 7028 SE 86th Avenue, four houses south of Bybee Boulevard, bolted from their home on Monday evening, January 23, when fire erupted in its attached garage.

Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) responded to the emergency call at 9:49 p.m. that evening. Both the Engine Company and the Rescue Unit of PF&R Lents Station #11 arrived simultaneously.

Inside the burning garage, firefighters spray down the interior, making sure the flames are completely snuffed out. PF&R Dennis Weis image

The lieutenant of Engine 11 reported to dispatch, upon arrival, seeing fire issuing from the front of the garage, and igniting the eaves of the roof.

Some of the crew were establishing a water supply, setting up water hose lines, and other firefighters were conducting a primary search of the building. Within minutes, other crews from PF&R’s Woodstock, Gilbert, Mt. Tabo,r and Mill Park stations – and two Battalion Chiefs – were on hand.

It didn’t take long for the hot-burning blaze to sever the electrical power line, bringing it down sparking in the yard – complicating the firefight.

“Although the fire was primarily in the garage, there was quite a bit of smoke in the home too, making it a challenge to search all levels,” PF&R Public Information Officer Lieutenant Sean Fogarty told East Portland News the next day.

“This was a fire that was believed to be contained to the garage,” Lt. Fogarty commented. However, the soot on the door, around the front windows, and the peeled paint on the walls, attested to the hot and intense smoke which also damaged the interior of the house.

This firefighter heads back into the structure, looking for hot spots — or any fire that made its way into the house.

“The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes,” Lt. Fogarty reported. “The three residents were unharmed, but were displaced by the fire, and were referred to Red Cross for assistance.”

After the fire has been put out, a PF&R Fire Investigator enters the structure to investigate its origin.

At 10:10 p.m. the same evening, a PF&R Fire Investigator arrived to evaluate the aftermath of the fire. At this time, its cause is still under investigation.

© 2023 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News™


Comments are closed.

© 2005-2024 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.