Late night chef sets apartment ablaze

See the damage that officials blamed on a cooking fire, in this Powellhurst-Gilbert neighborhood apartment building …

Firefighters find an inferno in this outer East Portland apartment unit. Dick Harris, PF&R photo

By David F. Ashton

When neighbors called in a report of an outer East Portland apartment fire at 1:25 a.m. on September 13, Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) Mill Park Station 7 firefighters sped to the area of SE 125th Avenue, just south of SE Division Street.

As they pulled up to the six-unit, two-story apartment structure at 12414 SE Ivon Court, flames were already leaping from the building.

Crews fight back the flames from outside this burning apartment, before heading in to quench the blaze. Dick Harris, PF&R photo

“When firefighters arrived they found heavy fire from a second story apartment,” said PF&R Public Information Officer Jesse Altig.

As is their protocol, some firefighters started pulling water lines, preparing to battle the fire; while other crew members made sure the all of the residents, including those of the fire-affected unit, were safely out of the building.

Smoke billows from the charred unit, as firefighters gain the upper hand in the kitchen fire. Dick Harris, PF&R photo

“The apartment complex had six units,” Altig said. “The fire was contained to just one. The fire started in the kitchen, and was cooking-related.”

The occupant of the apartment escaped without injury.

“Do not leave cooking food unattended,” Altig recommended after the fire.

American Red Cross Cascades Division volunteers helped the displaced resident find lodging, supplies, and dinner.

© 2015 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Please share with a friend

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2018 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial