Gun-waving thug shot by ‘Stub’ at pub

See why this gun-toting robbery suspect made a BIG mistake when he chose this particular SE Portland pub as his personal ATM. He failed to make his unauthorized withdrawal

Crime scene tape is across the door of the Mt. Scott Pub, after a gun-waving suspected robber tried – and failed – to hold up the bar. Desmond Moore photo

Story by David F. Ashton
It wasn’t much before closing time, early on November 16, and things were mellow as usual, at the Mt. Scott Pub – a neighborhood fixture at SE 72nd Avenue and SE Woodstock Boulevard.

But, all that changed in an instant, when employees and patrons saw a 6’1”, 220 lb man swagger into the establishment – with what appeared to be a sawed-off rifle in hand – demanding money from the barkeep.

Officers cordon off the area as they unravel the events of an alleged robbery gone bad – bad, at least, for the suspected gunman. Desmond Moore photo

“Responding to a 12:43 a.m. call, East Precinct officers learned that, after seeing the loaded sawed-off rifle, the bartender fled to the back room,” reported Portland Police Bureau Public Information Officer Sgt. Pete Simpson. “The suspect first chased after him, then came back into the bar and opened the cash register and took money.”

If that wasn’t enough, Simpson said, officers learned that the suspect continued to threaten patrons in the bar with his rifle.

Looking for evidence, officers carefully inspect the area around the Mt. Scott Pub. Desmond Moore photo

A second tavern employee, 57-year-old Ormand “Stub” Fentress,  had  had enough by that time, and retrieved a gun from the bar, as the suspect continued to wave around the loaded rifle. “Fentress fired multiple shots at the suspect’s lower body, hitting him, and causing him to fall to the ground.”
When officers got there, they found Fentress holding the suspect at gunpoint.

Police accuse this man, 30-year-old David D. Moore, of Robbery in the 1st Degree. MCDC photo

“The suspect, 30-year-old David D. Moore, was transported to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries,” Simpson later said. Official records show Moore’s hospital stay was brief; he was booked into jail at 2:50 p.m. later that day.

After being released from the hospital a day later, Moore was taken to the Multnomah County Detention Center, where he is currently being held on charges of Robbery in the 1st Degree, a class-A felony which imposes $250,000 bail, and being a Felon in Possession of a Firearm, a class C felony with $5,000 bail.

Commenting on the event later, Simpson said that when a person decides to rob a business – and someone inside has a firearm and knows how to use it, “It can be a bad day for the suspect.”

© 2011 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2021 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.