Fight over deposit-returned cash leads to stabbing

Find what officials are saying about what apparently was a petty squabble over pocket change – that led to “traumatic” injuries – outside the Foster Road “Freddie’s” …

Most shoppers don’t realize that a crime, resulting in traumatic injuries, had occurred outside this Fred Meyer store at S.E 82nd and Foster at these bottle-return machines.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton
At about 9:30 p.m. on March 27, patrons coming and going from the north entrance of the Foster Road Fred Meyer store on SE 82nd saw two men arguing, then scuffling, near the can and bottle return machines next to the building.

Then, in an instant, 49-year-old Sergey Evan Feodoroff fell to the ground, bleeding from stab wounds to his chest. Another man, who witnesses said looked to be about the same age, ran off.

Police protect the crime scene, waiting for PPB Criminologists to arrive and process it.

Officers leave this “Special Ops” style locking-blade knife where it landed, for examination by PPB Criminologists.

On the concrete apron, the suspected weapon – what appeared to be a folding, locking-blade “Special Operations” style knife – awaited examination by criminologists.

Witnesses pointed out nearby apartments, to which they told arriving Portland Police Bureau (PPB) East Precinct district officers the suspected knifeman fled.

51-year-old Nantharath Thilavanh is under arrest, accused of stabbing an acquaintance over can deposit-return change.

“The suspect, 51-year-old Nantharath Thilavanh, was located in a neighboring apartment, and taken into custody without incident,” said PPB Public Information Officer Sgt. Pete Simpson.

“Officers learned that the two men know each other, and were at the Fred Meyer store bottle return area, when they got into a dispute resulting in the stabbing,” confirmed Simpson. “Assault Detail detectives reported that the two men argued over some money, which led to the stabbing.”

The victim was transported to the OHSU hospital with traumatic, but not believed to be life-threatening, injuries. “The victim continues to recover,” Simpson later said.

Not long after being arrested, Thilavanh was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center (MCDC), at 12:25 a.m. that evening.

Thilavanh remains in MCDC in lieu of $250,000 bail, and faces charges of Assault in the Second Degree, a Class B Felony, jail records show.

© 2014 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2023 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.