Attic fire burns Hazelwood house

Here’s what’s known about this outer East Portland house fire that has  displaced three people, and several pets who got out safely …

 

Firefighters swarm in a Gateway area street of the Hazelwood neighborhood after a house catches fire.

By David F. Ashton

An early morning residential fire along NE 112th Avenue, about a block south on NE Halsey Street, brought out Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) crews at 3:44 a.m. on October 11.

“When fire crews arrived they noted grey smoke from the roof of the home and immediately began working to find and extinguish the fire,” PF&R Public Information Officer Lt. Damon Simmons told reporters.

Ladder Truck crews work on the roof and Engine Companies fight the fire below, as this house burns. Image courtesy of KATU News 2 on Your Side

All three people in the single-story house safely exited the burning structure before firefighters arrived. “The occupants were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms,” Simmons stated.

“But, an occupant was very concerned for her pets – 4 dogs and 6 cats – she told fire crews,” Simmons said.

In chilly, early morning hours, firefighters continue to fight this residential blaze. Image courtesy of KOIN News 6

The Fire Bureau spokesperson said that firefighters located the fire in an attic space, but the way the house is constructed made access difficult at times. “The fire was extinguished with all people and pets safe,” Simmons added.

Preliminary findings indicate that this fire was caused by an electrical issue.

© 2019 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News™

 

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2019 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.