Timely fire response quenches overheated G-Spot

How the blaze got started remains a mystery. But, see how fast action by our firefighters limited damage to this adult entertainment establishment on NE 82nd Avenue of Roses …

It took only minutes to put of the fire – but the circumstances sure made firefighters wonder how and why it started.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton
Thanksgiving Day evening, things heated up a bit too much at “The G-Spot” adult establishment at 3400 NE 82nd Avenue of Roses. Firefighters were called to put out a blaze in the house-turned-business.

By the time we arrive at 7:52 p.m., 82nd Avenue of Roses is closed to traffic; fire engines from stations 2, 12, 19 and 28 – plus a paramedic unit and command vehicles from Districts 3 and 4 are scattered across the usually busy street.

It didn’t take firefighters long to put out flames; damage was limited to the business’s front parlor.

Stepping around a fire engine, we see firefighters coming in and out of the charred front door of the business – an established listed as both a book shop and lingerie store.

“It was a ‘room and contents’ fire,” Battalion Chief of District 4, Ed Fitzgerald, tells us. “No one was present. The fire was in the front room. Our crews got water on it quickly.”

While they didn’t find anyone in or around the building, the Battalion Chief says the sign was on – and the door was unlocked. Here the two Battalion Chiefs talk with a Portland Police Officer about the fire.

Prompt action saves building
The call came in at 7:33 p.m. and crews started dousing the flames at 7:38 p.m.

“We were more concerned about the upper story; the possibly of fire extending into the attic space,” says Fitzgerald. “But we’ve checked the building carefully. It’s all clear.”

We ask if anyone was injured, or was removed from the building

“Nobody is around,” Fitzgerald replies. “We did a complete search. No one was there; nobody was around [the structure].”

“So the business was closed?” we ask.

“We don’t know if the establishment was open or not; there wasn’t anyone around,” answers Fitzgerald. “The door was unlocked.”

We watch the firefighters wrap their hose lines in the near-freezing cold for a few minutes, as a Portland Fire & Rescue fire inspector suits up, grabs his gear, and heads into the building’s charred parlor.

In the near-freezing weather, firefighters clean their equipment, wrap their lines, and get ready for the next call.

Fire of human origin
We call Portland Fire & Rescue’s public information officer on duty, Kim Kosmas, for more information.

“The building loss is set at $100,000, content loss is listed at $50,000.”

Regarding the cause, Kosmas reports that the fire is still under investigation, but adds, “The report indicates that there was a human factor. Someone used a lighter to ignite some flexible plastic.”

The Portland Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief of District 3 calls for the fire inspector after the firefighters have removed their equipment and done the overhaul (looking for hot spots) from the fire.

© 2007 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News Service

Comments are closed.

© 2005-2024 David F. Ashton East PDX News™. All Rights Reserved.