Take a look at some of these locations! Perhaps you saw something that could help police capture these two gun-slinging bandits before they kill someone, and you could be rewarded $1,000 for your information …
The Shamrock Tavern, 4919 SE 82nd Avenue, is one of the more- recent targets of a pair of gun-toting robbers that police say are plaguing SE Portland.
Story and photos by David F. Ashton
Taverns and “lottery deli’s” have been the favored target of a pair of armed robbers who police suspect are the same ones who have been terrorizing employees and patrons across SE Portland.
Of eight nighttime robberies, police say these suspects brandish black handguns, and then demand cash from the bartender or clerk on duty.
A recent example of this robbery rampage happened March 28, at approximately 1:02 a.m., at the Shamrock Tavern, located at 4919 SE 82nd Avenue.
“Officers learned that the suspects entered the bar by smashing out the glass in a door,” reported Portland Police Bureau (PPB) Public Information Officer Lt. Kelli Sheffer. “They ordered two customers to the floor, and demanded money from the bartender. After obtaining an undisclosed amount of money, the suspects ordered the bartender to stay in a closet as they fled the area.”
This crime spree started, police say, on January 11, here at Maddy’s at 3959 SE Powell Boulevard, just north of SE CE Chavez Blvd.
(PPB) Public Information Officer Sgt. Pete Simpson later stated, “Portland Police Robbery Detectives have been investigating several armed robberies in the past few months involving two men that have been armed.”
Investigators believe that the robberies may be connected, Simpson added, and are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspects.
Later in January, the suspects robbed a patron here at the Checkered Flag, at SE 82nd Avenue and SE Flavel Street.
Here’s a security photo taken during the Checkered Flag robbery. PPB supplied security camera image
“The Portland Police Bureau, in cooperation with Crime Stoppers [refer to their case #11-13], is asking for your help in identifying two suspects who may be responsible for a series of armed robberies,” Simpson said, and listed the dates of the holdups detectives say were done by the pair of gunmen:
- On January 11, 2011, at approximately 10:15 p.m., the suspects robbed Maddy’s at 3959 SE Powell Boulevard.
- On January 12, 2011, at approximately 8:30 p.m., the suspects robbed Cooper’s Coffee at 6049 SE Stark Street.
- On January 23, 2011, at approximately 9:30 p.m, the suspects robbed a patron at the Checkered Flag, located at 7483 SE 82nd Avenue.
- On February 1, 2011, at approximately 7:17 p.m., the suspects robbed Rose City Tobacco and Pipes, located at 729 SE Morrison Street.
- On February 2, 2011, at approximately 9:08 p.m., the suspects robbed Ed’s Deli, located at 3534 SE 52nd Avenue.
- On February 6, 2011, at approximately 8:20 p.m., the suspects robbed Dominos Pizza, located at 453 Northeast 70th Avenue.
- On March 2, 2011, at approximately 10:36 p.m., the suspects robbed Ed’s Deli a second time.
- On March 28, 2011, at approximately 12:45 a.m., the suspects robbed the Shamrock Tavern, located at 4919 SE 82nd Avenue.
These two images of the suspects aren’t the best, but they’re the clearest currently available. PPB-supplied security camera images
In many of the robberies, Simpson said, the suspects are armed with black handguns. The suspects are described as black males. One is approximately 5’8″, 170 lbs., and the second is approximately 5’10”, 200 lbs.
Possible suspect vehicles include a late 1980’s silver Toyota 4-door and/or a dark blue 1990’s two door, possibly a Dodge Neon.
Police suspect the same crooks hit Ed’s Deli on SE 52nd Avenue between SE Powell St and SE Foster Rd. – and came back for another robbery exactly a month later.
Surveillance video of one of the robberies is available for viewing on YouTube: CLICK HERE to open that link.
Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $1,000 for information, reported to Crime Stoppers, that leads to an arrest in this case, or any unsolved felony, and you remain anonymous. Call Crime Stoppers at 503-823-HELP (4357), leave a tip online at their website: CLICK HERE to open their home page, or text 823HELP plus your tip and send it to CRIMES (274697).
© 2011 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News