Parkrose ‘Can Clan’ continues boosting Bronco activities

Their next collection event is Saturday. See why volunteers are continuing this tradition, and who benefits from it …

Both adult and students pitch in, sorting the deposit-return cans and bottles, at the Parkrose Broncos Can Drive in January.

Story and photos by David F. Ashton
It’s been a while since our last visit to this monthly Parkrose event. And, with our deposit-return cans stacking up in the office, East Portland News headed out to donate to the “Parkrose Can Clan” – as we call them – located at Parkrose Middle School.

“Each month, a different student group of volunteers comes over and helps with our can drive,” explained the monthly event’s organizer, and also Vice President of the Parkrose High PTO, Patty Meighen.

Parkrose High School Choral Director Lesley Bossert lends a hand to Parkrose Broncos Can Drive organizer and Parkrose PTO Vice President Patty Meighen.

“Last year we brought in approximately $8,000 to help our high school student groups,” Meighen added. “Of the money that comes in, 70% goes to the student group that comes to volunteer, and the other 30% goes into the PTO scholarship fund.”

In January, for example, Parkrose High School Choral Director Lesley Bossert and choir members pitched in to help, and they will benefit when Robert “Beer Bottle Bob” Jolin redeems the donated cans and bottles, and collects the return-deposit funds.

Meighen recalled that the effort was started many years ago by Dave “Can Man” Luce. “When he finally had to give up doing it, Dave told us he’d been at it for 18 years. This is my second year doing this – making it 20 years doing fundraising this way.”

Jean Jolin and Blain Hendrickson help Robert “Beer Bottle Bob” Jolin get the deposit-return bottles ready for redemption.

“We’re here the first Saturday of every month, except if it’s a holiday weekend,” Meighen reminded – “when it’s moved back to the following Saturday. There is always a banner up on the Russell Street Overpass. And, it’s always on the electronic reader board at Parkrose High School.”

February 1 – and then March 1 – are the dates of the next two drives, which run from 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. each day. Be sure to set aside those bottles and cans for the drive, after the “Big Game” on Sunday.

Posing with some of the cans they’ve collected during their January drive are Parkrose High Choir members Kalani Wagner, Jazmin Torres, Kueli Fonua, and Jasmine Turner.

So, join us in taking your deposit-return cans and bottles to Parkrose Middle School, on NE Shaver Street, across from Parkrose High School, on the donation dates. Contact Meighen, at, for more information.

By the way, Parkrose “Can Man Dave” Luce himself is still picking up large loads – and maintaining collection barrels at companies and large organizations – to support the Parkrose Senior All-Night Party fund; call him at (503) 255-3745.

© 2014 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News

Be Sociable, Share!

    Comments are closed.

    © 2005 - 2016 David F. Ashton East PDX News. All Rights Reserved.