See how many neighborhood groups are celebrating the 25th annual “National Night Out against Crime” …
Rosanne Lee talks up “National Night Out” parties, at a recent outer East Portland event.
Story and photo by David F. Ashton
“America’s Night Out Against Crime” will be celebrated locally at several events in outer East Portland as they celebrate the 25th Annual “National Night Out” (NNO), a unique crime/drug prevention program on Tuesday, August 5.
“We have many events going on this year,” said Crime Prevention Specialist Rosanne Lee, who works with the East Portland Neighborhood Organization.
“These neighborhood parties were created to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, and to generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs,” Lee explained. The events tend to strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships, she added; “They send a message to criminals – letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back against crime.”
Last year, the Argay/Russell event attracted nearly 300 guests.
This year’s major events include those put on by these associations:
- Argay Neighborhood Associations BBQ – It runs from 6 until 8:30 pm at Argay Park, NE 141st & Beech Street. There’ll be live music, games, face painting, visits from police and firefighters, information booths, and much more. Burgerville cheeseburgers, chips, and a drink – for only $2!
- Centennial Community Association – It runs from 6 until 8 pm at Parklane Park, SE 155th & SE Millmain. They say the community is invited for refreshments. Meet police, firemen, crime prevention and the volunteers from Centennial Community Association.
- Glenfair Neighborhood Association – This one will be from 6 until 9 pm at Glenfair Park, NE 154th & Davis Street. Free pizza for Glenfair residents (please don’t mooch!). Enjoy clowns, face painters, games, a fire truck, and other surprises.
- Lents Neighborhood Association Ice Cream Social – Their event is from 6 until 8 pm at Lents Park Picnic Area A, SE 92nd & SE Holgate. Come meet Lents residents, Police Officers, Lents Firemen, and find out what’s happening in the neighborhood! Information will be available on homeownership, crime prevention, the Neighborhood Emergency Team, and the Lents Neighborhood Association. Free ice cream and prize raffle. Contact Amie at 503-788-8052 x105 or email@example.com. Ice Cream is available on a first come, first served basis.
- Wilkes/Russell Neighbors’ Celebration – These folks put on a big event from 5:30 until 8:00 pm at Wilkes Park, NE 154th just south of Sandy Boulevard. Come and enjoy an evening with your neighbors, police, fire, & crime prevention representatives. Complimentary BBQ burgers with all the fixin’s, pop, watermelon & children’s prizes!
- Woodland Park Neighbors’ Luau/Block Party – The small neighborhood with the big heart runs their event from 6 until 9 pm. This year, it’s in front of 1737 NE 101st. A Hawaiian Luau theme is planned for Woodland Park’s celebration. Come enjoy good food, music, children’s activities, raffle prizes, and meet your local neighborhood police officers, crime prevention reps, & neighbors.
- Mill Park Neighborhood Association BBQ — This event runs from 5:30 until 9:00 pm at SE Yamhill Street and SE 113th Avenue. These folks get together for family fun, barbecue and music.
Find one in your area
Whereever you are in the Portland area, you can find an event near you by visiting the Portland Office of Neighborhood Involvement directly by CLICKING HERE.
© 2008 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News