This isn’t your ordinary cruise-in! Find out when they’re blowing up cars – and when you can dunk a uniformed cop in the Dunk Tank – right here …
At the July Parkrose Business Association meeting, Scott Dobson, with Cascade Athletic Clubs (hosts of the Kids Area) holds up the banner in front of LeeAnn Bruner of LA Signs, the chair of the Parkrose Festival and Cruise-in, with the help of Alison Stoll, director of Central Northeast Neighbors.
Story and photos by David F. Ashton
On August 1, the south half of NE Sandy Blvd., from NE 105th and NE 112th Avenue will turn into a street fair, hosting one of the best cruise-in events in the region as the 2009 Parkrose Festival & Cruise-in gets underway.
At this event, there’s fun for the entire family
This is how a Cruise-in should be! Blocks and blocks of the finest vehicles, all displayed on a city street! East PDX News archive photo
It runs from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. along NE Sandy Blvd; Awards Ceremony will be at 2:30 p.m. It will be held on SE Sandy Blvd., across from the Verizon parking lot.
- Admire hundreds of antique, specialty, and classic cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
- Over 55 trophies awarded to participants – including the giant 5-foot Grand Prize trophy.
A Swedish Pancake Breakfast is served past noon by members of the Harmoni Club. East PDX News archive photo
- Authentic Swedish Pancake Breakfast prepared by the Harmoni Club.
- PBA Chuck Wagon’s Burgers, Dogs, & Snacks.
- Genuine Shaved Ice treats.
- Food specials by Parkrose-area restaurants and establishments.
How long will it take for this car to blow up – running at full throttle after all of the oil has been drained out? East PDX News archive photo
Blow-up cars, Dunk-a-Cop and Prize Raffles
- “Blow-up Car” contests – Guess how long a car can run without oil and win cash for $1 per guess! They’ll blow up two cars – one at 11:30 a.m. one at 12:30 p.m.; located at the Local Painters Union Parking lot at 111th Ave.
- Dunk-A-Cop – The dunk tank will be running all during the event; but at 3:00 p.m., East Precinct Officer Officer Greg Baldwin, dressed in his full uniform, will DARE you do dunk him!
- The Big Parkrose Raffle – With loads of great prizes for just $1 per chance. Or, win a $2,000 super-deluxe barbecue for only $2 per chance.
If you’ve got a good pitching arm, you, too, can have a chance to dump Officer Greg Baldwin in the Dunk Tank! East PDX News archive photo
- Kids’ Area and activities – hosted by Cascade Athletic Club, they provide fun with crafts, games, activities and a bouncy house at NE 111th Avenue in the Verizon parking lot
- Community Resource Booths – Learn about many services available.
- Fun Merchant activities – Many of the businesses along Sandy Boulevard are having specials and demos as part of the Festival.
Park along the side streets, additional spectator parking is available at Parkrose RV Storage, 10279 Sandy Blvd. (the former Keith Brown Lumber Yard).
See more information at their website: www.parkrosecruisein.com.
The Title Sponsor for this event is again Rex Heating & Air Conditioning; the main sponsors include: LA Signs, West Coast Bank, Teeny Foods, Pacific Northwest Credit Union, Les Schwab Tires, and Kindle Home Repairs.
© 2009 David F. Ashton ~ East Portland News